The Cardinal Rules of NOT falling in love..
4:59 PM

Idleness came unto me today. I dun feel like doing any work, what with the empty feeling of the bare office that's been stripped down to nothing, and my boss being busy arranging things for the new office. Hence, i went blog hunting throughout the day.

I stumbled across this blog, an exciting male blog that discuss about all sorts of things, ranging from his personal life up to the global matters.

Reading it front to back (??) i got hooked up on this one post, which he wrote as a Q & A session. The question goes like this :

"Dear Kimster,
What is the best way to inform a friend that you cheated on his girlfriend without getting beaten up?

Yours Sincerely,
Lumpur, via blogosphere "

The question was of course quite common; i've heard these kinda problem happens everywhere but what really caught my attention was one part of his answer, where he stated :

"The real answer to your question is very simple: there is no way on earth that you can tell your friend the truth without being beaten up. For all sense and purposes, you have crossed the line and committed a cardinal sin. You have broken THE GRAND CODE OF UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD APPLICABLE TO ALL MEN IN THE WORLD THROUGH THE AGES, or T.G.C.O.U.B.A.T.A.M.I.T.W.T.T.A.

It is a bit too long an abbreviation, so we normally refer to it as THE CODE. This is a rule you will not find written or printed in any statutes or legislation, but it is considered the most important rule of mankind. It has existed since time immemorial and shall continue to exist as long as men roam the earth.

The basic rules (also known as "The Rule of Three") are as follows:-

1) You are not allowed to fall for your mate's girlfriend, no matter how hot she is, and no matter how difficult it is for you to keep your libido in check.
2) You are generally not encouraged to date a buddy's ex, but if you find it absolutely necessary to do so, you are required to ask his permission and appear slightly guilty about it. He, in return, is required to honour the code by granting you his permission.
3) If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off-limits forever.
"

I find rule no.3 kinda absurd.

Let's see....

As a woman, i find rule no. 1 & 2 make sense; and it should apply not only to gents but ladies as well. The reason is -I dunno bout other girls - but I definitely wouldn't wanna date or fall for any guy that has a romantic relationship with my girl buddies; even if she's just the friend of a friend's friend. One of the main reason is becoz it would make me feel like a slut with a capital S, who thinks she's super-duper hot, that she could steal any guys she set her eyes on-even if that guy happens to be in a serious relationship. And as I'm no slut, I guess i'm okie with rule no. 1.

Subsequently, if the couple has broken up, then it's a different story altogether. Coz eventhough there might be some complications and hard-feelings in the beginning, i'm sure it can be sorted out by sitting together and explain things out (Provided, the couple have no intention to get back together, that is). So, rules no.2 is also acceptable.

However, rule no.3 is a definite NoNo! ..

I can't - for the light of me - understand the reason why a guy feels that his buddies wouldn't be fit to be in a romantic relationship with his sister. Well, as most of u might know..my partner in love and crime is also one of my brother's buddies. And of coz, we got to know each other through my brother (though not intentionally).

Ironically, it started when we playfully flirted with each other, but at that time he (my dearie soulmate) didn't know that i was my brother's a.k.a his friend's sister. Things got quite far i.e we were beginning to fall for each other, before i finally felt the urge to confess my true identity to him.

And when i did, he was actually so flabbergasted that i thought he was gonna end the whole thing right there and then. He said something to the effect "If i knew u were A's sister, i would've NEVER even flirt with you". On a different note, he also has fallen for my charm aite..thus he braved himself to face my brother like a true gentleman and explained the situation to him.

We went through some complications in the beginning - though none of it relates to my brother or their friendship; and which I'd rather not discuss here - but love prevails. Here we are now, still together after four difficult-yet-the-most-wonderful-we've-ever-had years. And the love keeps on growing stronger.

Well, now u see the reason why i feel that rule no.3 is quite absurd. I'm a sucker for love and romance; and I also happen to belief that love knows no boundaries. It doesn't matter who or what he/she is, as long as there's love, then everything else could be worked out.

It just seems quite unfair that girls dun seem to mind if their girlfriends fall for their brothers while guys make such a big fuss of it. And in that sense I think girls have more freedom to fall for any guys while the guys are more laid back when it comes to finding their true love.

Take for instance, if A has fallen head over heels with B's sister and he's quite sure that she's the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with; he'd have to resist the feeling and keep it bottled up inside just because there's this cardinal rule prohibiting him to fall for his friend's sister. It's kinda bizarre, dun u think??

Hmmm...i dunno. This rule thingy is kinda an abstract thing, isn't it? Some would adhere strictly to it while the rest might not. Anyway guys, care to explain on this? Just to make things clearer for me... that's all... ;-)

~The Urban Factor~